Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WanderLust Wednesday: Victoria Falls, Africa


This week, the scorching hot hundred degree weather here in sunny Southern California has made me crave someplace exotic and cool with lots of water: Victoria Falls, Africa. Located between Zambia and Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls is a sheer display of the magnitude and power of the majestic Zambezi River. Visiting Africa and taking an African Safari has always been on my list of top fifty things to do in this lifetime, and I really hope I can achieve that goal sometime in the near future and satisfy my lust for adventure.


I think what draws me most to Victoria Falls is the infamous Devil's Pool. During certain times of the year, a perfect combination of minimal current and a naturally formed rock barrier allow daredevils to swim exceedingly close (within a few feet) of where the water cascades down.



How insanely cool is that!? Swimming in the Devil's Pool at Victoria Falls is definitely on my bucket list and something I absolutely cannot wait to do! The adrenaline rush and thrill you get from standing at the edge of such a powerful waterfall is probably unparalleled by anything else, and something I am determined to experience for myself.



Besides the allure of the Devil's Pool, Victoria Falls is in itself one of the most beautiful, natural spectacles of our world. Although it may not be the tallest or widest waterfall in the world, Victoria Falls is infamous for being the largest sheet of falling water, rivaled only by the Iguazu Falls in South America.







Beyond the majestic falls and stunning scenery, the area also boasts an abundance of wildlife, from elephants (my personal favorite), baboons, and crocodiles, to the more exotic zebras, giraffes, and hippos. Visitors have the opportunity to interact with wildlife in tourist-friendly wilderness preservation parks or out in the wild from the safety of an open-topped jeep.

best-time-to-visit-victoria-falls-2-lrg.jpg (600×420)

20130207_015136_1_1.jpg (591×444)

victoria-falls.jpg (400×321)

Scenic-Victoria-Falls.jpg (1280×800)

Visiting Africa and taking a trip to see the Victoria Falls will truly be the adventure of a lifetime, and I for one, cannot wait until that day comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment