Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Recipe: Minion Cupcakes!

So it was one of my friend's/coworker's birthday today, and she happens to be a huge fan of Despicable Me. In honor of her 28th birthday, I decided to make Minion Cupcakes. I had seen them online several times and on various Facebook posts and finally got a chance to try them out.



As soon as I read the recipe, I discovered that Minion cupcakes, while looking absolutely adorable and incredibly complicated to make, are actually quite easy to assemble. For the cupcake base, I decided to go with this recipe I had found for Chai Tea Latte Cupcakes (a flavor the birthday girl and I are both obsessed with). The recipe was super easy, and all you have to do is add 3 tbsp of Chai Tea Latte Mix (I used my favorite Trader Joe's version) to the French Vanilla cake batter and bake according to the instructions on the box.

'Despicable Me' Minion Cupcakes:
-1 box french vanilla cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
-3 tbsp Chai Tea Latte Mix (I used Trader's Joe's Spicy version)
-Whipped Cream Cheese frosting
-3-4 drops blue food coloring
-10 Twinkies
-Candy Eyeballs or Smarties with Black Icing (I used candy eyeballs from Joann's)
-Black Icing




I contemplated making the eyes with smarties and black icing but this was just SO much easier
My favorite ingredient
1.) After baking all the cupcakes, I set them aside to let them cool, and started working on the actual minions. First I cut all the Twinkies in half and lined them up on a baking tray.


2.) Next, I put two globs of icing and pressed the eyeballs into them, and then connected the eyes and drew in the goggles with more black icing. Then I gave my minions all sorts of expressions. 




3.) Once the cupcakes had cooled, I dyed my whipped cream cheese frosting blue using the food coloring and then piped out an easy swirl pattern that would provide a sturdy base for my minion. I set the minion in the middle and gently moved it back and forth until it was well settled amidst the frosting. 


                          



My adorable little army of minions

Everyone at work absolutely loved them and the birthday girl was obsessed with them! I have a feeling I'll be making these again in the near future =]


No comments:

Post a Comment