Saturday, November 22, 2014

Recipe: Mint Chutney


My first attempt at making the ubiquitous mint chutney present in oh so many Indian dishes was successful! Hooray! Being an American-born Indian girl, I've grown up eating an interesting mix of Indian and American cuisines and have experimented with my fair share of fusion dishes. While Indian food in general may not always be my favorite cuisine, Indian chaat and/or street-food will always make my list. I won't go into chaat specifics (I'll save that for a different post), but an integral part of the wonderfulness that is chaat is the chutneys used. Chutney can make or break any chaat and take it from being an average snack to a magical experience. 

Aside from chaat, mint chutney can be used in a variety of dishes and is going to soon become a staple in my fridge. I think my two favorite uses for it (besides with chaat and samosas) are with aloo (potato) sandwiches and with chicken (stay tuned for those recipes). 

Recipe: Mint (Green) Chutney
Ingredients:
-1 cup fresh mint leaves
-1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
-2 tbsp lemon juice
-1-2 green chilies, chopped (I used 2 because I like my chutney spicy)
-1 tsp ginger, optional (I'm not a fan of ginger so I didn't use it)
-1 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
-Himalayan pink salt, to taste

1.) Wash and chop 1 cup of mint leaves, 1 cup of cilantro leaves, and the green chilies.  

2.) Squeeze about 2 tbsp of lemon juice into the blender and added the mint, cilantro and chilies.

3.) Add the cumin powder, salt, and ginger to the blender, along with about 2 tbsp of water.

4.) Blend into a fine paste, adjust consistency to your liking by carefully adding water.

5.) Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container (should last for 3-4 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment