Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Recipe: Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese


Oh sweet baby Jesus. This might be my new favoritest thing in the world. I think I can safely say I would trade in an arm and a leg AND my first born for an endless, calorie-less supply of this (my first born is really going to hate me - this may or may not be the third time I've offered to trade him or her in for some food item)! Anyways, I digress. Last weekend, A and I decided to have a Lord of the Rings + Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese + Curry Fries indulgence-fest. A thoroughly reprimanded me after having discovered that I never properly watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy (it doesn't count if you watch it from underneath a blanket apparently), and so we decided to have a marathon night with proper culinary accompaniments. We wanted to recreate our experience at The Homeroom in Berkeley, and found this recipe that seemed to match the creaminess and richness we so desired. 

Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese
Ingredients:
-1/2 lb whole wheat penne paste (or any pasta of your choice)
-4 tbsp unsalted butter
-3-4 jalapenos, chopped
-1 1/4 cup half-and-half
-8 oz cream cheese, softened
-2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
-4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 
-1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs

1.) Bring a large part of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta until it's al dente, approximately 6 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.

2.) Melt the butter. Set aside half of it, and gently stir in the chopped jalapenos into the remaining butter, cooking until softened, and set this aside as well (I chopped my jalapenos after cooking them).




3.) Heat the half-and-half over medium heat and simmer it until it reduces to about half its original volume (approximately 12-15 min).



4.) Carefully add the cream cheese, stirring until its completely melted and well incorporated.



5.) Whisk in the cheddar and Gruyere, stirring until melted and well incorporated. 






6.) Add the chopped jalapenos, cayenne pepper, reserved pasta water, and a pinch of salt into the cheese mixture, and whisk thoroughly.



7.) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the pasta into 8 x 10 baking dish, and carefully pour the cheese mixture over the pasta.




8.) Toss the set aside butter and bread crumbs together, and spread the mixture evenly over the macaroni+cheese mixture.

9.) Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble and the bread crumbs start to brown a bit.


10.) Allow the mac n cheese to cool for a few minutes, and then serve. Enjoy immediately (although the leftovers taste unbelievable as well!)



No comments:

Post a Comment