Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review: The Longest Ride

So I'm an absolute sucker for a good Nicholas Sparks book, and "The Longest Ride" was no different. I finished it in about half a day, and was absolutely touched by the beauty of the novel. I have no idea how he does it, but every time I read a Nicholas Sparks novel, I somehow end up entranced with the characters and their heart-warming or heart-breaking love stories. I think Nicholas Sparks' novels are the best for a rainy day or a quiet Sunday or when you're feeling a little out of sorts with the world; they offer the perfect amount of comfort and transport you to a beautiful, but unrealistic world for at least the afternoon. While "The Longest Ride" did follow a somewhat familiar story-line/plot to all of Sparks' previous novels, it did have its own unique twist to it with two completely different love stories that take place simultaneously.

“If we'd never met, I think I would have known my life wasn't complete. And I would have wandered the world in search of you, even if I didn't know who I was looking for.” 

The Longest Ride

The story has three narrators, 91-year old Ira Levinson, college senior Sophia Danko, and cowboy/bull-rider Luke Collins. When we meet Ira Levinson, he is badly injured from crashing his car on the iced road, and stranded in the middle of nowhere. As he struggles to retain consciousness and fades in and out, his delirious mind conjures up an image of his beloved wife, Ruth, who passed away several years ago. With Ruth, he reminisces about the past, how they met and fell in love, how WWII changed their future forever, the struggles they faced together throughout their long marriage, the impact their childlessness had on both of them, and how they rose from their humble beginnings to becoming the owners of a priceless art collection worth millions. Meanwhile, just a few miles away, yet in a completely different world, young Sophia Danko and Luke Collins meet for the first time at a local bull-riding event, and can't fight their attraction to one another. We read as they discover one another and fall head-over-heels in love with each other, in the most heart-warming way. Despite their instant connection and deep-seated romance, neither knows what the future holds for them: both Sophia's plans for a future in museum curating and the dangerous secret Luke has been harboring can destroy their relationship completely. Two very different couples and two very beautiful love stories converge in the most alluring, and most unexpected of ways in this wonderful read, "The Longest Ride".

"You made me happy and you made me laugh, and if I could do it all over again, I would not hesitate. Look at our life, at the trips we took, the adventures we had. As your father used to say, we shared the longest ride together, this thing called life, and mine has been filled with joy because of you.” 

I don't think I've ever met a Nicholas Sparks' book I didn't like and this one is no different. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy, really lovely read. It's not a thriller or a fast-paced novel, but a simple, delicate story that enamors you throughout, with its comforting pace, warm characters, and inspiring story. Definitely give it a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment